Reverend Barbara Evans-Routley — 01992 462881
North Weald Methodist Church is located on the main road through North Weald village and is in the heart of the village directly opposite the local parade of shops.
We share our minister, Revd Barbara Evans-Routley with 4 sister churches in HAEBEA: Watton-at-Stone Methodist Church, Hertford Methodist Church, Hoddesdon Methodist Church and Christ Church LEP in Waltham Cross.
9.30am — Morning Worship
North Weald Methodist Church seeks to be a fellowship sharing the love of God in the community through worship, fellowship and pastoral support. With the recent transformation of our building, we hope to reach with renewed impetus to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ and to transform the life of our community, taking to them Christ's message as set out in Corinthians: "now faith hope and love abide, these three, and the greatest of these is love."
Methodist preaching was established in the North Weald Bassett in 1875 by volunteer preachers from Loughton and Epping; the following year, the village was named in the first circuit plan of the new Clapton Circuit. It was reported that "Sunday evening services were held in a large cottage room, rented at a cost of £3 per year and that about 40 — 50 people attended the services".
Services continued in the cottage room in winter with outdoor services in the summer and in 1886, North Weald was added to the Wanstead and Woodford Circuit Plan as an outdoor mission.
As the cottage room became 'unhealthily crowded' it was decided in 1888 to build a new chapel and this was completed — at a cost of £82. 9s. 0d. (£82.45.) — on land that had been an old smithy. The money for the chapel was raised by public subscription and the initial ground rent was 10s (50p) per annum. The opening service for the new chapel was held on the 11th September 1890, making 2015 the 125 year anniversary.
In 1908, a plot of land adjacent to the chapel was purchased for £120 in anticipation of the future development of Methodism in the area and a decision to build a new church was taken in 1925; the new building was completed in 1929 and this comprises the current Sanctuary and vestry.
The village expanded during the 1960's and the Church members had the vision to extend the premises by adding the hall, side rooms, kitchen and toilets and these were completed in 1969. At this time, North Weald was part of the newly formed Harlow Mission Circuit.
A rededication service held on 19th October 2014 marked the completion of an extensive refurbishment project started towards the end of 2013, that has resulted in the modernisation of the 1969 extension and improvements to the Sanctuary and vestry. It had become clear to the Church members that the various improvements were necessary to meet the needs of the 21st Century and to further the mission of the Church to the community.
The Methodist Church is one of the largest Christian churches serving Great Britain, with nearly 230,000 members and regular contact with over 512,000 people. It has 5,023 churches in Great Britain, and also maintains links with other Methodist churches with a worldwide total membership of over 80 million. Its activities, both alone and with ecumenical and secular partners, are based on four aims known as Our Calling: