Opening of new Methodist Ecumenical Office in Rome

Home » News » Methodist Ecumenical Office in Rome
ecumenism-rome-0215

The Pope to meet senior Methodists during launch of new ecumenical office in Rome

Pope Francis and senior Methodist representatives from around the world will take part in a series of events to mark the opening of the new Methodist Ecumenical Office in Rome (MEOR).

Attendees at the events, taking place between April 5th and 7th, include representatives from the Vatican, the Church of England, the World Methodist Council, the United Methodist Church and the Methodist Church in Britain.

World Methodist Council President, Bishop Paulo Lockmann, Vice-President Gillian Kingston and General Secretary Bishop Ivan Abrahams, the Revd Gareth J Powell, Secretary of the Methodist Conference, other representatives from the Methodist Church in Britain, Deacon Alessandra Trotta President of the Methodist Churches in Italy, representatives of the European Methodist Council, the United Methodist Church and The Wesley (Rome) will be present.

A service of dedication and the opening of the centre at Ponte Sant` Angelo will be attended by representatives of the Vatican, Archbishop David Moxon, the Director of the Anglican Centre and the representative of the Archbishop of Canterbury in Rome, members of the diplomatic corps and other churches in Rome.

Next Thursday the Methodist delegation will be received by Pope Francis in a private audience at the Vatican followed by a meeting with members of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity (PCPCU).

The Revd Dr Tim Macquiban, Director of the Methodist Ecumenical Office in Rome, said: "We ask you to hold the ecumenical work of the office in your prayers at this important stage of its development.

"This initiative gives Methodists worldwide the opportunity to contribute in a continuing ecumenical dialogue, promoting ecumenical understanding through the likes of educational programmes."

You may also be interested in

Burnt Mill Methodist Church
History: Thu 09 Jul

Burnt Mill Methodist ChurchBurnt Mill Methodist Church, seating 150, was built in 1887 by the North West Essex Wesleyan Mission (the site was just opposite what is now Harlow Town Station).Burnt Mill was then included in the newly created Bishop's Stortford circuit in 1939. In 1953 it was transferred to the Harlow Mission Circuit. It was closed in 1962 and demolished in 1963: by that...

NHS01
National News: Thu 25 Jun

The National Health Service came into being on 5 July 1948. During post-war reconstruction, improving the healthcare of the nation was seen as crucial to the nation's recovery. Beveridge, the architect of the NHS, identified "five giants" that had to be slain: want, disease, squalor, ignorance and idleness. The cataclysm of war provided the stimulus for radical reform. It was a...

WAS - Garden
Prayer & Worship: Wed 24 Jun

Oasis of Calm...The Meditation Garden at Watton-at-Stone Methodist Church is proving to be a real 'Oasis of Calm' for the local community to use for reflection and private prayer, particularly during spell of warm summer weather we are all enjoying.Mr John Ellis, the Lay-Pastor at the church has been encouraging use of the garden as a prayer space whilst the church building is closed...

© 2012 - 2020 Herts and Essex Border Ecumenical Area

Methodist, United Reformed Church and Anglican Churches in Partnership