Church News: November 2017
The Courtyard garden at Hertford Methodist Church has recently undergone a transformation, with improved accessibility, provision of ample comfortable seating, the installation of a water feature and complete replanting. The garden is not only attractive and welcoming, but it is designed to be 'low maintenance' as well.
Michele Cornell, who designed it for us, qualified as a spatial designer and then switched to garden design after a career break to raise her family. A one-year Garden Design Foundation course at Capel Manor College fired her with a enthusiasm for the whole subject and she went on to study there for a further two years to gain a Diploma in Garden Design. She completed the course this summer and was awarded the prize for 'Best Student' on her course.
The projects Michele became involved with outside her course, such as the Methodist Church Courtyard Garden, played a large part towards this and gave her valuable experience. She has since been invited to receive an additional award by the Worshipful Company of Gardeners to be presented at their annual autumn court dinner, for being Capel Manor College's top student in garden design this year (over their various campuses).
She is now taking on work as an independent garden designer and stylist. Michele is passionate about good design and inspired to create both private gardens and public spaces that enhance the environment, enrich well-being and excite the senses.
The garden was dedicated on Saturday 4th November at by Revd John Butt, previously a minister at Hertford Methodist Church.
We look forward to our new garden being enjoyed by all who use our premises for many years to come.
You may also be interested in
Burnt Mill Methodist ChurchBurnt Mill Methodist Church, seating 150, was built in 1887 by the North West Essex Wesleyan Mission (the site was just opposite what is now Harlow Town Station).Burnt Mill was then included in the newly created Bishop's Stortford circuit in 1939. In 1953 it was transferred to the Harlow Mission Circuit. It was closed in 1962 and demolished in 1963: by that...
The National Health Service came into being on 5 July 1948. During post-war reconstruction, improving the healthcare of the nation was seen as crucial to the nation's recovery. Beveridge, the architect of the NHS, identified "five giants" that had to be slain: want, disease, squalor, ignorance and idleness. The cataclysm of war provided the stimulus for radical reform. It was a...
Oasis of Calm...The Meditation Garden at Watton-at-Stone Methodist Church is proving to be a real 'Oasis of Calm' for the local community to use for reflection and private prayer, particularly during spell of warm summer weather we are all enjoying.Mr John Ellis, the Lay-Pastor at the church has been encouraging use of the garden as a prayer space whilst the church building is closed...