Church Developments - April 2019
We are very pleased to announce that work on the refurbishment of the Halls at Ongar United Reformed Church are to commence on Monday 15th April, and will take approximately 4 months to complete. It is hoped that handover of the much improved facilities will take place towards the end of August.
The plans for the redevelopment where drawn up by architect Mr Cliff Paten of Lewis Patten Associates. Mr Patten has a well established relationship with HAEBEA having worked with several of our churches on a variety of projects, including the current ramp project at Epping Methodist Church.
The Hall will have a new ramped accessed entrance lobby in Stanley Place and will be renamed 'The Livingstone Hall' in honour of David Livingstone who lived in the cottages next to the Church just before proceeding to his great work in Africa.
The complex will feature new accessible toilets, a refitted kitchen, and energy saving heating and lighting to make the halls more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly.
A lift and a re-styled staircase will lead to the upper floor which will be renamed the 'Taylor Gallery' in memory of Jane Taylor whose Father was one-time Minister in the 19th century. This space will will be used to display the Church history and local history in association with the Ongar Millennium History Society.
The project is budgeted to cost £ 400,000 and thanks extensive fundraising activities by the church members and various grants and donations (listed below) the majority of this has already been raised.
- URC Eastern Synod
- Ongar Town Council
- Epping Forest District Council
- HAEBEA (Herts and Essex Border Ecumenical Area)
- Stansted Airport
- Ruth and David Gould
- Margaret Lancaster
- Four Anonymous Supporters
Donations are welcome
If you would like to make a financial donation towards the scheme, please contact Brenda or Sandra
by email: email@example.com
Or contact the minister, Revd Cecil White. Tel: 01992 523630 or Mobile: 07483 147441
You may also be interested in
Burnt Mill Methodist ChurchBurnt Mill Methodist Church, seating 150, was built in 1887 by the North West Essex Wesleyan Mission (the site was just opposite what is now Harlow Town Station).Burnt Mill was then included in the newly created Bishop's Stortford circuit in 1939. In 1953 it was transferred to the Harlow Mission Circuit. It was closed in 1962 and demolished in 1963: by that...
The National Health Service came into being on 5 July 1948. During post-war reconstruction, improving the healthcare of the nation was seen as crucial to the nation's recovery. Beveridge, the architect of the NHS, identified "five giants" that had to be slain: want, disease, squalor, ignorance and idleness. The cataclysm of war provided the stimulus for radical reform. It was a...
Oasis of Calm...The Meditation Garden at Watton-at-Stone Methodist Church is proving to be a real 'Oasis of Calm' for the local community to use for reflection and private prayer, particularly during spell of warm summer weather we are all enjoying.Mr John Ellis, the Lay-Pastor at the church has been encouraging use of the garden as a prayer space whilst the church building is closed...