Saturday 16th November 2019 was truly a memorable occasion when a Full Church attended the Service held to celebrate the completion of the work of up-grading our downstairs Church Hall, and the building of a new kitchen/entrance/toilet and office — now known as "The Livingstone Hall" where a portrait of this world famous Christian missionary/explorer, and short-time resident in one of our cottages, is displayed.
As with all such major contracts, there have been unexpected difficulties/delays, which required new decisions being negotiated.
It is impossible to name every-one who has contributed to achieving this result, but special thanks and appreciation must be extended to our tireless Church Treasurer Brenda Hall, and her right hand woman, Sandra Dear. Also, sincere and heartfelt gratitude to their husbands — Ken and Patrick.
We are all so thankful to them for their expertise, practical knowledge and experience. We must also mention our new Elder, Steve Smith for all the hours he has toiled shifting large loads, decorating walls, ceilings, etc. Thank you, Steve.
We haven't entirely completed yet. The upstairs "Taylor" and "Ongar History" Rooms are now in progress. Our prayers are being answered, and after a project envisaged ten years ago, we are nearly there.
Our Special Guests included Councillor Richard Bassett (Chairman of Epping Forest District Council) and his wife. We very much appreciated his words of encouragement and congratulation on what has been achieved so far.
Also present were three young men from Epping who, after receiving tuition from Brenda Hall and some gruelling adventures along the way, have achieved their Duke of Edinburgh Gold Awards, and will shortly attend St. James Palace to receive their medals.
Well done everyone!
You may also be interested in
Burnt Mill Methodist ChurchBurnt Mill Methodist Church, seating 150, was built in 1887 by the North West Essex Wesleyan Mission (the site was just opposite what is now Harlow Town Station).Burnt Mill was then included in the newly created Bishop's Stortford circuit in 1939. In 1953 it was transferred to the Harlow Mission Circuit. It was closed in 1962 and demolished in 1963: by that...
The National Health Service came into being on 5 July 1948. During post-war reconstruction, improving the healthcare of the nation was seen as crucial to the nation's recovery. Beveridge, the architect of the NHS, identified "five giants" that had to be slain: want, disease, squalor, ignorance and idleness. The cataclysm of war provided the stimulus for radical reform. It was a...
Oasis of Calm...The Meditation Garden at Watton-at-Stone Methodist Church is proving to be a real 'Oasis of Calm' for the local community to use for reflection and private prayer, particularly during spell of warm summer weather we are all enjoying.Mr John Ellis, the Lay-Pastor at the church has been encouraging use of the garden as a prayer space whilst the church building is closed...